Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A lot's there in a name!

I became a member of one of those e-mail ID connections & put my work profile there. Frankly,I wasn't much interested in e-mail friendshps etc. As the time passed, there was hardly any querries about the work as such.Ppl were curious about my profile,asking questions as to what all I do or write but no offers for any assignment as such came my way. I did get disappointed but continued to communicate with a few friendly members.
A few days back someone left a greeting for me on my scrap book. I replied & a nice amicable communication began. In the meanwhile this person requested for a personal message box communication. I saw no problem. This person, as per my knowledge, was a freelance writer as well ! We gelled & continued with our communication. Just a couple of days back,I saw a message on my scrap & to reply to that, I needed to visit this person's profile . When I visited this time I saw "male"written at the place of gendre. I was a bit puzzled, went to the personal message box & asked this person,"You silly female,why have you written "male"in your profile?Got a sex change surgery done or what!!"
The reply to my message, to my absolute horror was , I AM A MALE !
In my entire life,I had never come across such a feminine name! I could not not believe what I read ! And the readers can imagine my embarrassment when the FACT dawned on me !
The moral of the narrative: Never ever take even a NAME for granted ! Forget about taking poeple or relationships for granted ! There IS a lot in a name! Since I had pasted a picture of myself along with my profile ,the other chap had no confusion about my gendre ! And I had read some really embarrassing querries out in the open, on the scrap itself, about my personal life ! I thought this "lady"was sensible enough not to put a picture, whereas I had put one because I WANTED my future clients to relate to the "real" me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shama
Be it man or woman, be very careful of what you disclose about your personal details on the internet.